Dear Reader, You know that general knowledge are important for all competitive exams. Below you will find a list of major ports and national highways in India. (This list falls under ‘static general knowledge’).
You will find a short practice test at the end of this list.
List of major ports in India:
|Name of the Port||State|
|Port of Kolkata||Kolkata|
|Port Blair||Andaman Islands|
|New Mangalore port||Karnataka|
- Chennai Port is previously known as Madras Port. It is one of the oldest ports of India and the second largest port in the country.
- Kandla Port is located on the Gulf of Kutch. It is the largest port of India by volume of cargo handled.
- Mumbai Port handles one-fifth of India’s foreign trade in dry cargo and mineral oil from the Gulf countries.
- Ennore Port, officially renamed as Kamarajar Port Limited, is most modern port which is a registered corporated public company.
- An artificial and deep-water port is Paradip Port. It is mainly used to export raw iron to Japan.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port is the largest container port in India. It also known as Nhava Sheva port.
- New Mangalore Port is a deep water all weather port.
- Tuticorin Port is an artificial deep-sea harbour of India. It is officially known as VO Chidambaranar Port.
- Viskhapatnam Port is the second largest port by volume of cargo handled in India.
Indian National Highways:
|NH1||Delhi – Ambala – burari – Jalandhar – Amristar – Wagah Border|
|NH2||Delhi – Mathura –Agra – Kanpur – Allahabad – Kolkata|
|NH3||Agra – Gwalior – Indore – Dhule – Nashik – Mumbai|
|NH4||Thane – Chennai (Via Pune, Bengaluru)|
|NH5||Kolkata – Chennai|
|NH6||Kolkata – Dhule|
|NH7||Varanasi – Kanyakumarai|
|NH8||Delhi – Mumbai ( Via jaipur, Ajmer and Ahmedabad)|
|NH9||Pune – Machilipatnam|
|NH10||Delhi – Fazilka|
* NH7 is the longest highway of India.
Ready for short practice test?
Start Test Here
If you want clarification for any doubts, please use the comments section below. Also please let us know if you have suggestions or corrections.